So much has happened at the MPS over the past ten years; some highlights include:
– New MPS lobbying firm, Harris Jones & Malone
– Held five seminars across the state on new DSM-5 requirements
– Initiated a “Paper of the Year” award for Resident-Fellow and Early Career Members
– Produced five trainings across the state on new CPT codes for E/M and add-ons
– Established an Investment Reserve Fund to increase non-dues income
– Offered training on new MOC requirements at 5 locations within APA Area 3
– Launched a redesigned website, www.mdpsych.org
– Filed an amicus brief in the Court of Appeals of Maryland in the case Allmond v. DHMH
– Added online member accounts and Find a Psychiatrist to the website
– Transitioned to a calendar year for dues and financial reporting to coincide with the APA
– Downsized staff due to financial constraints. Executive Directors were Kery Hummel, through May 2017, and Heidi Bunes thereafter, with Meagan Floyd as Associate Director.
– Began an annual Resident-Fellow Member Poster Competition
– Started MPS Interest Groups for members to easily connect around the following topics: Addiction Psychiatry, Book Club, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, Early Career Psychiatrists, Forensic Psychiatry, Geriatric Psychiatry, Neuromodulation in Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis in Psychiatry, and Residents and Fellows.
– Held the inaugural RFM Trivia Night
The “twenty-teens” were distinguished by excellent MPS leadership, including the following presidents:
2010-11 Anita S. Everett, M.D.
2011-12 Andrew F. Angelino, M.D.
2012-13 Elias K. Shaya, M.D.
2013-14 Scott T. Aaronson, M.D.
2014-15 Sally A. Waddington, M.D.
2015-16 Brian Zimnitzky, M.D.
2016-17 Merle McCann, M.D.
2017-18 Jennifer T. Palmer, M.D.
2018-19 Patrick Triplett, M.D.
2019-20 Marsden H. McGuire, M.D.
The MPS honored one member each year for a consistent, career-long pattern of unwavering dedication, commitment, and leadership to the organization:
2010 – Leonard Hertzberg, M.D.
2011 – William Prescott, M.D
2012 – Chester Schmidt, M.D.
2013 – Steven Sharfstein, M.D.
2014 – Paul McClelland, M.D.
2015 – Thomas Lynch, M.D.
2016 – Irvin Cohen, M.D.
2017 – Robert Roca, M.D.
2018 – Neil Warres, M.D.
2019 – Arthur Hildreth, M.D.
To help members stay informed and connected, the MPS published ten annual membership directories, almost 150 issues of MPS News and about 25 issues of The Maryland Psychiatrist.
The MPS also:
- Nominated 36 members for elevation to Distinguished Fellow status, held 10 annual dinner meetings, provided opportunities to earn hundreds of CME hours and held several other networking events.
- Screened tens of thousands of Maryland bills and analyzed hundreds to assess their effect on psychiatrists and patients, commented dozens of times on regulatory initiatives and advocated regarding Maryland’s behavioral health system of care and parity.
- Provided thousands of patient referrals to member practices.
We are looking forward to an even more productive and successful decade in the 2020s!
Thank you for your continued membership support, without which none of this would have been possible!!