The Behavioral Health Administration (BHA) is offering guidance based on responses from hundreds of behavioral health providers who responded to the first two BHA surveys about behavioral health services in Maryland during the COVID-19 pandemic. [Survey results are posted on the BHA COVID webpage.] BHA identified the following common challenges reported in the results.
- Considerable fear about going out in public, which is complicating the scheduling of first appointments, adherence with in-person appointments, and maintaining treatment plans.
- Some barriers to the utilization of telehealth
- Many schools are using virtual learning.
- Decrease in patients accessing or continuing SUD treatment services and associated increase in the relapse rates and fatal overdoses
- Significant disruption in daily activities and associated challenges for those with behavioral health conditions
Click here for BHA-recommended ways that providers can address these challenges.