- Use of telehealth has been expanded during the state of emergency to cover previously unacceptable platforms. Requirements for audio-only telehealth calls with medical assistance or behavioral health service recipients were first issued on 03-20-20. That order was amended and restated on April 1 as EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER 20-04-01-01.
- CMS: audio-only behavioral telehealth reimbursed on par with regular visits retroactive to March 1 – see APA for additional information
- BHA FAQs (March 26, 2020): COVID-19 and Telehealth
- Maryland Board of Physicians updated telehealth FAQs
- BHA Follow-up Guidance on Telehealth Services (March 24, 2020)
- Optum Maryland requirements for audio-only telehealth Behavioral Health services. For other Optum provider alerts, click here.
- CareFirst Telemedicine Guidelines
- FSMB: Latest State Licensing Board Changes in Response to COVID-19
- PRMS Telepsychiatry Checklist – includes coronavirus updates (click for more PRMS resources)
- Sample telehealth consent forms: ATA, Massachusetts, Upper Midwest, Colorado.
- HHS – No penalties for infractions of HIPAA telehealth rules during the pandemic
- MHCC Telehealth Readiness Assessment Tool and Telehealth Resource Center
- Telehealth platforms – Although non-HIPAA compliant platforms are currently allowed, members may want to consider HIPAA compliant platforms that can be used beyond the pandemic. Although the MPS makes no endorsement, some members use the free, compliant doxy.me platform.
- DEA-SAMHSA: prescribe buprenorphine to new and existing patients via telephone
- DEA COVID-19 Information Page – authorizes CDS prescribing during the emergency via 2-way AV telemedicine for patients not previously examined in person
- Remote MoCA testing
- Free Telepsychiatry in the Era of COVID-19 webinar
- Free to members Telepsychiatry and Risk Management Considerations
- For more telehealth information, see APA’s Resources on Telepsychiatry and COVID-19 page.
- Hogan announces expanded testing, including appointment-free testing for asymptomatic individuals
- Maryland Association of Counties – summary of reopening status by county
- May 6 Directive and Conditions for Resuming Non-Urgent Health Care
- Governor Hogan’s other Executive Orders
- MedChi Coronavirus Resource Center – includes COVID-19 testing sites in Maryland, telehealth coding/billing guide, and more
- County Mental Health Crisis Services during COVID-19
- Maryland Responds Medical Reserve Corps online volunteer registration
Maryland Department of Health
- MDH coronavirus page with updates on cases in Maryland
- MDH Advisory waiving health insurers’ time restrictions on prescription refills
- MDH COVID-19 #1 – expansion of Medicaid to permit telehealth to the home
- MDH PSA videos on coping with stress, anxiety, and depression
- MHCC – Broadening Access to Telehealth during a Public Health Emergency includes info on private insurance
- BHA COVID 19 web page including telehealth provider info, FAQs and more
- Recovery and Wellness Support Resources
- To ask questions about BHA procedures during the emergency, use their COVID-19 FAQ Submission Form.
Maryland Insurance Administration
- Deductibles, co-pays and other cost-sharing waived to control spread of COVID-19
- Maryland Health Connection special enrollment period for uninsured Marylanders ends June 15. The Medicaid renewal deadline has been extended to April 30.
- COVID-19 Health Insurance FAQs
- Prescribers may order clozapine without an absolute neutrophil count reported within the specified timeframes
- SAMHSA Training and Technical Assistance Related to COVID-19
- SAMHSA guidance, including OTPs and Take Home OUD med quantities
- A CMS clinician letter summarizes actions to reduce unnecessary barriers to providing patient care during the COVID-19 outbreak, including telehealth and virtual visits, accelerated and advanced payments, and recent waiver information.
- New Video on Medicare Coverage and Payment of Virtual Services
- The Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act waives geographic and originating site Medicare telehealth reimbursement restrictions for mental health services. CMS guidance allows patients to be seen via live videoconferencing in their homes, regardless of geographic location. Click here for telehealth service codes.
- CARES Provider Relief Payment Portal and provider guide
- Accelerated and Advance Medicare payments (Accelerated Payment Program amounts are now being reevaluated and Advance Payment Program to Part B suppliers is suspended)
- FCC COVID Telehealth Program offers $200M of CARES funding to community mental health centers, teaching hospitals, medical schools, and other e nonprofit health systems to integrate telehealth technology into their practices.
- Medicare Provider Enrollment Relief
- Clinician Well-Being During COVID-19 Webinar
- National Center for PTSD – managing anxiety for providers and health care workers
- MGH Psychiatry COVID-19 Mental Health Resources (continually updated)
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress Coronavirus Resources
- CMS Coronavirus Toolkit
- AMA Senior Physician COVID-19 Resource Guide – returning to practice
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics: Guidance in a pandemic
- APA Ethical Guidance for Psychiatrists’ Obligations during COVID-19
- Resources for psychiatrists, patients & families, and health care/community leaders are posted on the APA Coronavirus Information Hub.
Financial Assistance for Physician Practices
Other COVID-19 Updates and Info
- The MPS Annual Dinner Meeting has been postponed to October 8. Those who purchased tickets for April 2 will automatically be registered for this event unless they notify MPS to apply a credit instead.
- The Maryland Insurance Administration is encouraging health insurers and HMOs to extend premium payment dates and grace periods during the pandemic.
- Maryland Physician Health Program can help if the stress of the pandemic becomes too overwhelming. Please call 410-962-5580 or 800-992-7010, option 3.
- CDC advice on stress and coping
- CDC communicating during a public health crisis
- WHO has COVID-19 Health Alerts in seven different languages via WhatsApp.
Resources for Children
- MY PANDEMIC STORY – A Guided Activity Workbook for the World’s Children, Families, Teachers and Caregivers
- Right Now I am Fine – book for young children
- Right Now I am Fine – coping coloring book for kids