The Maryland Psychiatric Society is a state medical specialty society whose physician members specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental illnesses including substance use disorders. Our objectives are to meet psychiatrists’ needs for networking, CME, advocacy, information and more. This site informs members and the public about our activities and events, and offers news and resources relevant to psychiatry and mental illness. Members-only areas includes dozens of networking opportunities. The site also offers a robust search mechanism (Find a Psychiatrist) for locating psychiatrists in Maryland.
The Maryland Psychiatric Society is a professional organization of psychiatrists that aims to foster a health care environment that provides accessible, culturally sensitive, and comprehensive services for mental health and substance use disorders for all Maryland residents.
The mission of the Maryland Psychiatric Society is to:
- Ensure the highest standards for clinical practice and professional conduct
- Protect the therapeutic alliance between patient and psychiatrist
- Support patient choice and universal access to the most effective care
- Serve the professional needs of Maryland psychiatrists
- Collaborate with other professional organizations to advocate for our patients’ interests
- Professional responsibility
- Respect for patients and colleagues
- Lifelong professional learning
- Collegial support
- Cultural diversity
- Recovery and healing
The Maryland Psychiatric Society, Inc. is a District Branch of the American Psychiatric Association.
Area 3 or the Mid-Atlantic Area is one of seven regional components of the American Psychiatric Association. Area 3 encompasses the District Branches of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and Washington, a district branch with three chapters – District of Columbia, Northern Virginia, and Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in Maryland.