The Maryland Psychiatric Society is a state medical specialty society whose physician members specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental illnesses including substance use disorders. Our objectives are to meet psychiatrists’ needs for networking, CME, advocacy, information and more. This site informs members and the public about our activities and events, and offers news and resources relevant to psychiatry and mental illness. Members-only areas includes dozens of networking opportunities. The site also offers a robust search mechanism (Find a Psychiatrist) for locating psychiatrists in Maryland.
The Maryland Psychiatric Society wishes to establish and maintain an environment in Maryland which supplies excellent, comprehensive mental health resources for all its citizens.
The Maryland Psychiatric Society will further the science and progress of psychiatry. It will preserve high professional and ethical standards and protect the therapeutic alliance between the patient and his/her psychiatrist and treating facility. It will support choice of and access to the best, most effective care for patients, and aid psychiatrists in achieving the highest degree of professional satisfaction.
- To improve the evaluation, treatment, rehabilitation, and care of persons treated by psychiatrists.
- To encourage research and prevention for psychiatric disabilities, and professional education in psychiatry and allied fields.
- To advance the standards of all psychiatric services and facilities.
- To foster the cooperation of all who are concerned with the medical, psychological, social, and legal aspects of mental health and illness.
- To make psychiatric knowledge available to other physicians, scientists in other fields, and the public at large.
- To strive to dispel the stigma and discrimination that comes from suffering from a mental illness.
- To promote the best interest of actual or potential patients of psychiatrists.
- To vigorously advocate for the professional interests of the membership.
The Maryland Psychiatric Society, Inc. is a District Branch of the American Psychiatric Association.
Area 3 or the Middle Atlantic Area is one of seven regional components of the Assembly of the American Psychiatric Association. Area 3 encompasses the District Branches of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and the Washington Psychiatric Society, a district branch that consists of three chapters – Wash, DC, Northern Virginia, and the Maryland suburbs of the District. Four Assembly Allied Organization are members of the Area 3 Council. There is also representation for Early Career Psychiatrists (ECP) and Resident-Fellow Members (RFM) and, via the SAMSHA Minority Fellow, Minority/Under Represented (M/UR).